| It was built between
1797-1801 following the design of the Viennese architect Ignatz Schlaff
and under the personal advice of count Teleki Samuel ( at that date he
was Chancellor of Transylvania). The library is one of the most
beautiful building of the ‘old town’.
Despite its execution in several stages, it impresses both with its
balanced form and sober harmony, as well as through its single
style. The Library Hall is two story high, 21.65X12.40 m. The basic fund
of the library consists of the 40.000 volumes (amongst which 66
incunabula and many rare works and editions) from the count’s personal
collection. In 1955 the funds of the former Reformed College had been
integrated here (approx. 90.000 volumes) as well as the manuscripts and
personal belongings of two genius mathematicians born in Targu Mures -
Bolyai Farkas and Bolyai Janos – which were grouped in the
“Bolyai” memorial museum.